It’s that time to do that year end top ten shit. This round I tackle rap. I would say the rapper of the year is ASAP Ferg. That motherfucker came up and owned shit. Here’s my thoughts based on my personal enjoyment of tracks and my enjoyment of playing them as a dj. Let me know if you think I’m fucking stupid in the comments.
10. Busta Rhymes ft Q-Tip, Kany West & Lil Wayne – Thank You
This reminded me of tracks from the late 90’s and early 2000’s that I liked.
9. Drake – Started From the Bottom
For all the shit that Drake gets for not really being at the bottom this still kills and if you play this in Toronto, people will lose their fucking shit. This really is Drake’s town.
8. Danny Brown – Side B (Dope Song)
This is hype.
7. Asap Ferg ft French Montana, Asap Rocky, Trinidad James & Schoolboy Q – Work Remix
This was really the beginning of the Ferg dominance of the rap game.
6. Pusha T ft Rick Ross – Millions
I fucking loved this song so much when it came out.
5. Sage The Gemini ft IamSu! – Gas Pedal
This is some straight up hyphy sounding shit that makes girls grind their asses on your parts.
4. Rich Homie Quan – Type of Way
This was a song I started off wondering why people like it. It seemed unremarkable. Now I can’t get it out of my head if I start to think of it.
3. Future – Honest
I love the bragging “I’m just being honest” shtick of this. I do it all the time. “Ate 3 pizzas I’m just being honest.” It’s also a really catchy song.
2. Drake ft Meek Mill, Tyga & Migos – Versace
This is just some IDGAF rap
1. Asap Ferg ft Shabba Ranks, Busta Rhymes & Migos – Shabba
Pretty much the song of 2013. Like Type of Way it took a while to worm itself into my brain. I remember it was during a trip to a cottage and I was on shrooms that the original won me. Now they put the actual Shabba in the track. That’s boss shit.